Thursday, April 14, 2011

Where are the Moral Ethics??


After reading Pat Griffin’s blog discussing “ An update on Lesbian High School Player’s Lawsuit Against her Coach and School District” I was appalled! It made me sick to think that the school district and the athletic director were completely fine with the fact that a coach would verbally harass and corner one of their players until they broke and revealed their sexual orientation. I can’t wrap it around my finger that this coach isn’t in some type of legal trouble or even in jail. How is this seen as acceptable? Especially, with all the recent media attention that this topic has be focusing on students taking their own life’s due to be outdid by their peers pertaining to their sexuality. How is this being viewed as not a big deal by the school district? If a student would do that to another student they would be expelled from school. But how is it that a professional educator did this to a student? Aren’t they supposed to be protecting the students from fellow peers who may be causing these appalling behaviors onto others?

This just makes me sick. I am without words to say the least. I, like Pat, would like to know how in the world the school district is allowed to have the policy stating that it is ok for staff to reveal the sexual orientation of students to their parents.

I understand that Texas is a conservative state with their morals and values. But how can someone look in the mirror and tell him or her that what they are doing isn’t ok? When I think about this, it reminds of some of my response that I was given in my interview for our paper. The person I interviewed for my paper discussed the girl’s basketball team’s coach and how he was verbally assertive with the girls and would occasionally impose derogatory statements to them. He was also known for pulling the occasional Bobby Knight move to show that he was meaning business. But were his actions the outcome of a successful program? He had coached the girls to 3 state championships back to back to back, and made numerous appearances in tournament play as well. But where do you draw the line? How did Planet Kilgore not think at one moment that they weren’t stepping over that line, and they could be ruining the life of one of their students by outing them? We’ve talked in class about stereotypical remarks towards females in athletics, but I can’t believe that it has gone this far. This school is demonstrating to others that this type of behavior is acceptable for professional educators in the high school level. What’s next to come, seeing this behavior in the collegiate level? Or will this behavior start showing up in the middle schools? Where does it end? Who can students turn to now?

No comments:

Post a Comment