Friday, February 25, 2011

Last week there was a lot of talk about the two females that made it to the state wrestling meet for the first time in the 91 years it has been held. Personally, I think this is awesome, I love that females are going out there and doing whatever sport they want to, even if it is looked at as a predominantly male sport like wrestling. Obviously these females have wrestled plently of men to get to where they are because there is no girls wrestling in high schools so they have to be on the boys team. These girls are also obviously very good to make it to the state wresting meetso I think they should have some respect for beating all those men to get there. But when it comes to one of the girls, she took one step closer to the finals just because one boy didn't want to wrestle her, it was against his religion. This is understandable in a way, it is hard to make someone do something if he or she says it is against their religion. But the young man said that it was against his religion because wrestling isn't something a female should do and it isn't how you treat a lady. Yeah, you don't treat a lady like that and you know, slamming her to the ground and laying on her, but if this is what she wants to do and is putting herself out there, I think it's a little disrespectful. Also, hearing that him and his family don't believe that women should participate in contact sports and it's not "lady-like," is a little hard to hear for a girl that is a fighter. I can only imagine what that family would think of me and other women like myself. Of course, there are other women in taekwondo and I only fight them at tournaments, but I train with men and fight them all the time and they have no problem with it.

I know that this issue has caused a ruckus of sort, but I love that it happened. Title IX has worked hard to get equal rights for everyone and that involves females being able to play sports. I think it is a huge step for us to have females in the state wrestling meet and hopefully there will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment