Thursday, January 27, 2011

What "family" really means


When reading the blog “On homophobia and recruiting”, I was completely off guard bout what it was about. While first reading the quote from Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly about family, I was in complete agreement with him. Being on a collegiate team, I am so thankful for the girls that are on it because they truly are my best friends and people I definitely call my second family. Ironically, I was on a team at Iowa State my freshman year and cannot say the same thing about it, which is one reason why I left, so I understand the importance of a team being family-oriented. Not in any way did I see this as any negative recruiting and I assume that there are completely different situations than I experience on my team.
While there are so many stereotypes about women who are athletes and certain female sports, this article opens up my eyes to a whole new light. Unfortunately, our society has made sport to be male dominant and with that ideology there is a lot of negative beliefs about women in sport. Women in these power sports are seen as breaking out of their shell and leaning towards a more masculine personality and with this comes the stereotype of female athletes and coaches(such as in basketball and softball) are lesbians.
Because this ideology has been instilled in society, the media and the way these sports and athletic programs are portrayed enhance it. An athlete’s personal background should not be important because he or she is talented; it isn’t because they are gay or straight that makes the play the way they do. But these athletes and coaches also shouldn’t feel ashamed of the way they are and feel like they have to hide it or risk anything.
A team is not about whom it is made up of, but more about what. The values and talents and attitudes of these athletes and coaches are what helps blossom a team into a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment